Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Race of Life

Today was an exhausting day. For the first time in I don’t know how long, I felt like going for a run today. The weather was mid-50’s and sunny and I just felt like running. As a side note, every time I say that I feel like Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump. I wasn’t planning on challenging myself; I just wanted to go run and think. I started the run at a pretty easy pace and surprisingly I never got tired. It felt like a constant second wind. I certainly got more physically exhausted as the run went on, but I was never short of breath.
The run was an amazing time to just listen to my iPod, reflect on life, and enjoy God’s creation. When I was running on the bike path, I would literally close my eyes and just think. I love running on the bike path for that reason; it’s smooth, straight, and you can just run.
The only problem with the run today was that I didn’t plan out the time accordingly. I was running for a little over two hours, but I didn’t start till after 5. The sun went down a little before 7 and that brought the darkness and the cold. In addition, I was wearing all dark clothes and running on the roads. This was probably not the smartest idea and something I need to consider for next time; not that I’m planning on running another 13 miles anytime soon.
As I finished, I couldn’t believe how far I had ran. The farthest I had ever ran before without stopping was around 8 miles so 13 miles was unbelievable. After I stopped, I could only think of Philippians 4:13 which says, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” With this week being a rejuvenation in my walk with Christ, I know that I definitely couldn’t have run like that today without Him helping me. It was such an encouragement to know that he was with me.
One of the main reasons that I felt like going for a run today was to clear my head and step back from life. In the past few weeks, I’ve really become frustrated with school. This frustration mainly stems from my feeling that school isn’t going to teach me much more for my job. To get a job as a television broadcaster, you need to have quality experience and a good resume tape; of which I already have. A television station isn’t going to care what grade I got in American Political Institutions. I see much of the work I’m doing as useless and as you can imagine, this doesn’t provide much motivation to get it done.
When choosing my scripture passage for devotions tonight, I decided to read Philippians 4. This was completely because I thought of Philippians 4:13 following my run. God totally knew exactly where to send me in His word. This passage talked about not being anxious to move on and to remain content in the position that you are in. After feeling these thoughts about school and wanting to just be done with schoolwork, this passage reminded me that I still have much to learn. Though I may not be able to apply what I’m learning in my classes to my profession, everyday here at Cedarville is a new learning experience. I need to have the right attitude and remain content with where I am. Our lives go by so quickly, and I need to enjoy every day and live life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment